Monday, July 9, 2012

Could we buy anymore stuff?!

Yesterday, Mike and I took the plunge - the paint plunge. We bought all the paint for ALL the rooms in our house. Our first stop was Sherwin Williams - thinking back I should have tried to find colors that were sold at Menards or Home Depot. It probably would have been cheaper. But I found "our colors" at Sherwin Williams - and do you know how hard it is to pick out paint colors?!

So we made our way to the store. We picked out a Semi-Gloss finish because we liked that look best. The employee at Sherwin Williams told us that the most common are Flat and Semi-Gloss finishes so I figured it was a safe bet. Then we picked out the HGTV brand of paint - it was cheap because it didn't have the highest rating for coverage but since we're painting over all white walls we figured that was fine.

So I wandered myself up on to the counter and slid my list of 6 different colors that totaled 18 gallons of paint over the counter, saying "I need a lot of paint." Eyebrows raised and the man went to work mixing together the paint colors. I had never seen the paint machine that measures the correct amount of dye to put into the white base - VERY COOL. Clearly, I walked behind the counter to watch (Mike was embarrassed).

The man helping us brought gallon after gallon to the counter for us. That's when I started to have a panic attack - it's what happens to a cheap person when they have to spend a lot of money. Thank goodness Mike was there reassuring me that I had painstakingly budgeted the days before. All I can say is thank goodness for sales, too. Each gallon was 30% off (making it about $27 a gallon) and I had a coupon for an overall discount! Either way though, I had to close my eyes while swiping my card.

Below are the colors we chose for the house ...hope you enjoy them as much as I do!


But don't think we stopped our house spending adventure there. Oh no! We then traveled to Menards. I should have mentioned from the get-go ...WE LOVE MENARDS. I grew up there, following my dad through the aisles and pretending to be handy. And Mike - well he likes anything that sells hammers and encourages DIY projects.


At Menards we had to buy our cabinet makeover supplies. So we bought sandpaper, deglosser, and primer. Also, after much consideration we decided we should paint the ceilings too, since all the other walls would have fresh coats of paint. How awful would that be to go through all the painting just to realize how dingy the ceiling looks?! (This house hasn't been painted in at least 10 years). So we also had to buy ceiling paint for all of the rooms. It was cheaper to buy the 5-gallon bucket at Menards then to do so at Sherwin Williams. We also bought some paint brushes and such. All-in-all we looked like regular DIY-ers. Or just 2 brand new home owners getting themselves in way too deep. It's yet to be determined.


(I had to get an action shot of Mike. He loves taking pictures in public!)

So at the end of the day we're still on budget but my purse is feeling a tad lighter. The picture below shows all the home makeover supplies we've bought this far. Yikes!


More to come on our budget/schedule. Mike just revamped it - like only a Project Manager could do. It's color-coded and everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment