Saturday, November 30, 2013

Fireplace Facelift - Part #1

Here's where we left the fireplace last - without a mantle.

 
Well, let me warn you. It starts to look worse before it gets better. After taking off the mantle, we Mike took off the rest of the tile and the drywall on the top, revealing all the plywood.
 
 
Because we had tile and drywall on previously, before we could start to put up the stone, we needed to make all the surfaces flush. So Mike got more plywood and cut them to box out the fireplace. You can see below the width of the plywood = the gap left behind by the tile between the old plywood and metal base of the fireplace. He secured each piece with a nail gun.
 
 
 
 

In the meantime, I took the glass around the fireplace outside. I wanted to get rid of the brassy gold ASAP. So I used my go-to Rustoleum High-Heat spray paint. I chose a matte finish in black.

 
 
 
So we ended the day with the fireplace being boxed out in plywood. Getting there, right?
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment