Sunday, August 18, 2013

Front Door Makeover

Here's a brief tutorial on the steps I took in repainting our front door. The "before" pictures is below, and what you can't see are all the streak marks and uneven coating from the previous paint job. I'm also not a huge fan on how the front door color blends in with the color of the house. There's no focal point, and I read somewhere that the front door color is one of the number one things that can improve curb appeal.

 
#1: Remove hardware. With this step, I noticed that the paint from the last paint job had built up around the hardware. So I sanded it down to make it flush with the door. This will help whenever we replace the door handle - the shape may or may not be the same. I also taped off the door on the edges and window.
 
#2: Prime. As always.
 
For the next steps, see the nifty diagram below. Note that this is only with the first coat. I ended up doing three coats of paint to get the desired coverage. We used Dutch Boy's Dungeon Bronze exterior paint in high gloss.
 
 
 
Here are a couple official "after" pictures! When we first moved in I wasn't a huge fan of the exterior because of the mortar and trim having a red/pink tint to them. So now, I like that the new front door color picks up the brown in the brick. Now I just need to decorate...
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. Sharing your makeover tips was a great and selfless idea! Painting your front door with a darker shade makes it noticeable and a standout. Now, people will see easily your front door; it's not camouflaging with your exterior, anymore.

    -Nida Eisner @ All County Exteriors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nida! I'm really happy about the front door color. I just need to get some potted plants and such to dress the exterior up!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Nida! With the contrasting colors, people can easily determine your door. Moreover, it really added a pop of color to your facade, increasing it's curb appeal. I hope you're finished with adding the flower pots that you desire. I wonder how it looks like today. Have you posted updates?

    Kindra Ramage @ TheJonesBoys.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kindra. Unfortunately, I couldn't beat the cold weather and didn't get flower pots. However, since the holidays are right around the corner - be on the lookout for holiday decorations! I'll be sure to post those

      Delete
  3. You got that right. Not everyone bothers about it, but it’s good for a house’s curb appeal to have a focal point. That said, the front door is definitely the first thing that comes to mind. Congrats for having it made! Katie@Renewal by Andersen® of Los Angeles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, Katie! Any suggests on how to make it even more of a focal point is welcome!

      Delete