Sunday, October 14, 2012

Another success!

Sorry that it's been awhile. To my defense it's because my bathroom looked like this:


And then I lost all motivation because I realized (1) how much I hated priming things (hence how I left it above) and (2) how much I didn't want to paint the doors. Alas, my bathroom sat in this interesting state and I had nothing to blog about. BUUUUUT this week Mike pep-talked me up and we finished together! (I'm starting to think all projects start with my dreams and Mike's patience)

Here are the supplies for this project:
- Deglosser
- Primer (again we used our ever-handy can of Zinnser's)
- Painter's tape and tarp
- Cabinet paint of your choice (we used the same as in our other bathroom)
- Foam rollers
- Angled foam brush

#1. Taped off the area (floor, walls, etc). Here we also removed all the cabinet doors.

#2: Degloss all surfaces. Again, you can use an old t-shirt or cloth for this.


#3. Prime. And that's how we get to this picture! I only did one coat of primer and used a normal paint brush. For this coat, I've learned that brush strokes showing doesn't really matter; it's merely to make the paint stick better (I know, I'm practically a professional right?)


#4. Paint. Paint. Paint. I had to do 3 coats of paint to get the color and coverage I wanted (which is probably why I prolonged this for so long). I had at least 30 minutes of drying time between the coats. For the doors, I painted 3 coats on one side and then waited 24 hours to flip it to the other side just in case! (Oh, and whenever I've painted door or drawers, I used a normal paint brush to get into the corners first and then use the foam roller on the flat surfaces. I promise it doesn't leave brushstrokes as long as you feather out the edges and roll over soon after!)


 And here is where my problem happened. My foam roller nor my paint brush could fit inbetween the two middle permanent drawer faces and the countertop. So I had this wonderful gap that I couldn't paint:


To paint here, I found the tiniest of tiny angled foam brushes. So if you run into this problem - there is a solution! And I figure no one bends down to see that paint anyways so it didn't have to be perfect.

#5. Hang doors and hardware. Clearly this is where Mike came in. And what a wonderful job he did! Below is the finished product and I couldn't be more pleased!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment